Friday, June 22, 2012

Why not to be a robot.

Did you ever feel like you're here for something?
Like, when you're 90 and dying and when you look back, you don't want your biggest achievement to have been working for the biggest company, or earning the most, or having the most to boast about.
You'd like to have contributed something to this loony-bin we call The World.

We came into this world with nothing, we're going to go out with nothing. If, between those 2 stages of having nothing, even if we have the most, it won't matter in the end. What would have mattered, is how many people remember you, how many want to continue your work. Your effect on the world.

Your words can touch people. Your music, your art. Your influence. Not your code for the highest-paying client, not your degree from the best college. I mean, yes, I'm no one to talk about this, I'm a 15 year old fresh out of school. But I have to make a choice in my life, and I know what it's going to be.

I want to go into the world, reach out to those less fortunate. I want to help them, I want to improve their lives, I want to improve their children's lives, I want to improve their grandchildren's lives. Not by giving them corporate greed and money, though. By making sure there's literacy, there's education, there's medicine. By making sure there's happiness.

Peer pressure can drive the children into all sorts of wrong habits. If I can have enough of an influence, we'll have writers, artists, musicians, so many more people, having a constructive outlet, having some contribution to the world.

There's no point being a human being, if you're going to be a crappy one. If money's the aim of your life, if you look down creativity, if you have no time for anybody but yourself.

Don't try to change the world single-handedly. Try small things. A kind word. A gift. A book. More importantly, your time. Your effort, your love.

The world isn't a perfect place, it probably never will be. But we can definitely try.

No comments:

Post a Comment